Why are reviews conducted?

Reviews are conducted to ensure that polices and procedures are being followed. Sometimes reviews are due to an incident report or at the request of the Alabama Department of Labor Secretary, division directors, or managers /or supervisors.

Can I report an incident anonymously?

Yes. You can anonymously report an incident, but you must provide enough pertinent information for ISEC to conduct an investigation of the allegation.  Print this Information Sheet * as a guideline for the details ISEC will need.

How do I get a UC password?

UC passwords must be requested by your supervisor. Your supervisor will complete a Computer Access Form and forward it to the ISD Help Desk.

If I transfer to another office or unit, can I use my current UC password?

No. Your supervisor will need to complete a Revoke Access Form to delete your UC password effective the close of business your last day at that location. Your new supervisor will need to complete a Computer Access Form to request a new UC password for the location to which you are transferring.

Also, if you work a temporary assignment in another office of unit, you will need a UC password for that location. The supervisor in that location will need to request a UC password for you and request that the UC password be deleted when you complete your temporary assignment.

Why should I keep my UC password secret?

UC passwords identify you as a person inputting the transaction. They also identify the location from which the transaction was input. In addition, this is a requirement of computer security policy.

How do I file a claim?

You may file your claim online.

You can also file your claim from any touch-tone telephone by calling the Initial Claims Line (toll free) at 1-866-234-5382. Your call will be answered by an electronic Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, which will ask you some initial questions. You will then be automatically connected to one of our friendly customer service representatives to complete your claim. We recommend that you do not use a cellular telephone for this process because calls may be dropped by your service prior to our system saving the information.

If you are on a temporary lay-off and will be going back to work for the same employer, your employer may have arranged to file your claim at your place of employment. Check with your employer if you think this has been arranged.

What do I need in order to file my claim?

You will need your social security number and the name, correct address, and dates of employment for your most recent employer. In order to verify your identity, we will also need a driver’s license or state-issued ID card number and your mother’s maiden name. If you are separating from the military, you will need the member 4 copy of your DD214. If you are not a citizen of the United States, you must provide us with your work authorization number.

How can I check the status of my claim?

Once your claim is filed, information about your claim is available online in the claimant portal. To help protect your information, the claimant portal uses an authentication process that requires a Google, Microsoft, or Apple account to login. Although you will link your claimant portal to your account, none of your Google, Microsoft, or Apple information will be shared with us.

For questions or assistance by phone, please call (800) 361-4524 at 5 p.m. Sunday through Thursday for a next-day callback appointment. If you are unable to secure an appointment on one day, please try again the next day. Please keep your phone nearby the entire day of your scheduled callback.

How long will I have had to work to be monetarily eligible for benefits?

You must have wages in at least two quarters of your qualifying period (base period). The base period is the first four quarters (12 months) of the last five completed quarters from the date your claim is filed. For example, if your claim was filed effective October 5, 2019 your base period would the 12-month period beginning July 1, 2018 and ending June 30, 2019. The total of your base period earnings must equal or exceed one and one-half times your highest quarter earnings.

Can I receive benefits if I quit my job or if I am terminated?

Generally, you must meet certain requirements to be eligible. You must be able to work, available for work, willing to accept suitable work, actively seeking full-time work, and be out of work due to no fault of your own. If you voluntarily quit your job, the burden of proof is on you to show that you quit for a good work-connected reason. If you are terminated or discharged, your employer must show that you were terminated for a work-connected cause as stated in the Alabama UC Law.

Can I receive unemployment if I am working part time, my hours have been reduced by my employer, or I have been furloughed?

If you did not ask for a reduction in hours, it is possible to receive unemployment if you are working and your gross weekly earnings are LESS than your weekly benefit amount. In order to determine what your weekly benefit amount would be, you must file an unemployment claim. If approved, you would report your weekly earnings from Sunday to Saturday each week. If you earn less than your weekly benefit amount, you would receive a reduced payment for the benefit week. Unemployment compensation is paid on a calendar week basis and must be filed during the week you are unemployed or working reduced hours with earnings less than your weekly benefit amount.

If my hours are reduced or I have been furloughed, will unemployment compensation replace my lost wages?

No, unemployment compensation will not replace your lost wages by supplementing your lost income due to reduced work hours or a furlough. Whether or not a person is eligible for unemployment benefits is determined by the weekly benefit amount for which you qualify (maximum in Alabama is $275 a week) and your gross weekly earnings. If your gross weekly earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount, you would receive a reduced payment for that week. If your gross weekly earnings are greater than the weekly benefit amount for which you qualify, you will not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

How much can I receive each week?

Benefits per week range from a minimum of $45 to a maximum of $275 (effective January 1, 2020) calculated using your base period earnings. On the day after you file your claim, a form is mailed to you (monetary determination) that lists all of your base period wages by employer and the total and weekly amount to which you may be entitled.

Can I receive benefits during all of my benefit year?

Generally, you will qualify for a set number of full benefit weeks ranging from 14-20 weeks. The maximum amount allowable for the benefit year is based on the unemployment rate. If you return to work or if you have deductible income for any week, you may draw reduced payments and increase the total possible length of time that you can draw. The total amount that you can draw for the year is the maximum benefit amount shown on your monetary determination.

What if I have work in another state?

When you contact the call center, a representative can help you determine if you need to combine your wages from other states to file a claim. You will need to be prepared to discuss the last 18 months’ work history for this information to be correct. The call center representative is trained to help you decided what type of claim will benefit you the most, and will provide you with these filing options.

What if I am monetarily ineligible?

No benefit year is established on ineligible claims. This allows you to file again when your base period changes. Be sure to ask for a specific date as to when the quarters will change so that you can file again as soon as possible if you are still unemployed. If you have worked for cash or received a 1099, this could have affected your unemployment benefits. Please email us at TipHotline@labor.alabama.gov or call 1-855-234-2856 for help.

When do I report earnings?

When you file your weekly certification for benefits, you should report any wages you earn for any work performed during the week you are claiming. Remember, you report your gross earnings during the week in which they are earned, not when they are paid. This is a mistake that could result in an overpayment of benefits.

How do I file my weekly certification?

There are two methods to file your weekly certification. You can file online or you can call the weekly certification number provided to you during your initial claims filing process. In either case, be sure to follow all instructions completely.

When is my payment going to come?

Weekly and very quickly, if you have followed all of the procedures provided to you, there are no issues to be resolved, and your claim has been cleared for payment. Occasionally, delays may occur but, normally, if you certify before 5 p.m. your payment is made on the next business day after you call in your weekly certification. If your payment seems unusually delayed, contact your Call Center Inquiry line. Remember to allow 48 hours for the payment to be processed by the bank handling your account or Debit Card.

Payments will be made through either direct deposit or the AL Vantage Prepaid Benefits Card based on the option you selected. To access your AL Vantage Card account information, click here.

How can I avoid problems with my claim or weekly benefits?

Read and listen to all of the information that is provided to you. There is a lot of information provided to you when you file your claim. If you do not understand something or you feel something is wrong, ask your customer service representative when you make your claim, or call the Inquiry Line. We are always happy to assist you.

Am I eligible for benefits if I quit due to the relocation of my military spouse?

As a spouse of an active duty member of the military, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits if you leave your job due to the permanent relocation of your military spouse. You will be required to submit proof of the permanent duty station relocation and your spousal relationship. Certain other conditions must be met in order to meet initial eligibility requirements and to remain eligible to receive benefits.

What is the waiting week and will I receive payment for it?

The waiting week was implemented by legislation effective July 2008, as an unpaid period for all unemployment compensation recipients. In the 2012 Alabama legislative session, the waiting week was moved from the 14th payable week to the 1st payable week for all new claims effective on or after August 1, 2012. Even though benefits cannot be paid for the waiting week, for it to count as the waiting week, it must meet the requirements to be payable and a weekly certification must be filed for that period. No funds are deducted from a claim for the waiting week.

When is an individual considered an employee?

An Alabama worker is an employee if an employee/employer relationship exists between the business and the worker. This means if a business has the “right of control” over the worker, whether or not, they actually exercise the right, the worker is an employee. Alabama law further provides that we use the common law factors to assist us in making determinations. Additionally, you may click here for some examples of independent contractors versus employees.

If you have further questions, you may contact your local field tax representative.

How do you meet liability for Alabama State UC Taxes?

The Alabama UC law provides that, except for certain non-profit organizations and government entities, an employer becomes subject for taxes when any one of the following conditions are met:

    1. Non-Farm Business Employers
      1. When the employer has had in employment one or more workers on some day in 20 or more different weeks, whether or not consecutive, during the current or preceding calendar year.
      2. Has paid wages of $1,500 or more in any calendar quarter during the current or preceding calendar year.
    2. Household Domestic Employers
      1. Domestic employers become subject when the employer pays domestic workers in a private household, college club, fraternity or sorority house a total of $1,000 or more in cash wages in any calendar quarter during the current or preceding calendar year.
    3. Agricultural Employers
      1. When the employer has had in employment 10 or more agricultural workers in 20 or more different weeks during the current or preceding calendar year or
      2. has paid a total of $20,000 in wages to agricultural workers during any calendar quarter of the current or preceding calendar year.

For additional information on establishing liability for Alabama Unemployment Taxes, contact the Status Unit as shown at the end of this section.

What constitutes a successor employer?

An employer becomes subject by:

  1. Acquiring the trade or business, organization, or substantially all the assets of another employer which at the time of such acquisition was an employer subject to Alabama Unemployment Tax.
  2. Acquiring a segregable part of the organization, trade or business of another employer which was at the time of acquisition an employer subject to Alabama Unemployment taxes provided that the segregable part would itself have been an employing unit subject to Alabama Unemployment Tax had it represented the entire business of the predecessor.

For additional information regarding successor employers, contact the Status Unit as shown at the end of this section.

Are religious organizations liable for Unemployment Taxes?

The Alabama UC law provides that services performed in the employ of a church or convention or association of churches; or an organization that is operated primarily for religious purposes and which is operated, supervised, controlled or principally supported by a church or convention or association of churches shall not be considered covered employment. For more information on religious organizations contact the Status Unit as shown at the end of this section.

Are non-profit organizations exempt from Alabama Unemployment Tax?

Non-profit Organizations are liable for Alabama Unemployment Tax unless they are exempt from income tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code and are classified as a Section 501(c)(3) exemption organization. Non-profit organizations that are classified under Section 501(c)(3) become liable for Alabama Unemployment Taxes only after they have had 4 or more individuals in employment in each of 20 different weeks within either the current or preceding calendar year. For additional information on Non-profit Organizations contact the Status Unit as shown at the end of this section.

How does my business register as a new employer?

You can open an Alabama Unemployment Tax account by completing an application (Form SR-2*). Employers should submit an application as soon as liability has been established. To print an application form,  click here* or you can request an application form from the Status Unit as shown below.

You may contact the Status Unit at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have questions.

Status Unit
649 Monroe Street, Room 4201
Montgomery, AL 36131

Phone: (334) 954-4730
FAX: (334) 954-4731

How do I get my new tax rate notice?

You may download your tax rate notice by logging into eGov, provided your company is not a new company with a 2.70% rate (initial rate). Employer who have a 2.70% rate will be able to download a computer generated tax rate notice once their individualized tax rate is determined for them.

What is the new account rate?

Employers newly liable under the Alabama UC law pay tax at the rate of 2.70% on the first $8,000 of wages for each employee. Subsequent rates are determined by Experience Rating. You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have other questions.

May a tax rate transfer from an existing employer to a new employer?

A new employer that acquires the organization, trade, or business of another liable employer (the predecessor) is assigned the experience (benefit charges and taxable payroll) of the predecessor. The predecessor’s experience is used to determine the successor’s tax rate. If proper notification and wage transcripts are provided to the Alabama Department of Labor within the time prescribed by the Alabama UC law, the new employer may be entitled to a rate based on partial acquisition of the predecessor. You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have other questions.

May an employer earn a tax rate based upon its record of unemployment experience?

An employer which has operated a sufficient period of time to qualify for experience rating earns a tax rate based upon the employer’s own experience (benefit charges and taxable payroll), modified by statewide experience (schedule and shared cost). Inclusive of the 0.06% Employment Security Enhancement Assessment (ESA), an Employer’s rate can vary from 0.20% to 6.80% depending on the one of four rate schedules in effect, plus any applicable shared cost. Refer to the tax rate calculation information below for tax terms defined such as tax rate schedule, shared cost and ESA. You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have other questions.

How is my annual tax rate calculated, if the rate is based on experience?

The rate is computed using the three most recent complete fiscal years of benefit charges and taxable payroll. A fiscal year begins July 1st and ends the following June 30th.

Benefit charges (Item 9 on the Tax Rate Notice, Form UC-216) are costs for actual benefits paid to former employee(s). Taxable payrolls (Item 10) include taxable wages upon which taxes have been paid by the preceding July 31st. Your benefit ratio (Item 11) is determined by dividing total benefit charges (Item 12) by total taxable payroll (Item 13) for the three most recent complete fiscal years.

With knowledge of your benefit ratio (Item 11) and statewide schedule (Item 3), you can verify the computed rate (Item 5) and tax rate (Item 6) in the Tax Rate Table. An excerpt of the Tax Rate Table contained in Section 25-4-54(f) of the Alabama Unemployment Compensation (UC) Law is listed below.

The statewide schedule (Item 3) and shared cost (Item 4) are determined in accordance with 1989 amendment to the Alabama Unemployment Compensation Law. The amendment contains four rate schedules: A, B, C, and D. The applicable schedule is determined yearly by a formula that looks at the relationship of the Unemployment Compensations Trust Fund’s balance to the desired level of the Fund. Shared cost (Item 4) is determined yearly and is defined as cost that cannot be assigned to a specific employer. Shared cost (Item 4) is added to the computed rate (Item 5) to determine the tax rate (Item 6). Employment Security Enhancement (ESA – Item 7) monies are deposited to the Employment Security Enhancement Fund in the State Treasury and used to assist unemployed claimants in obtaining employment.

To verify the tax rate (Item 6), find the line and benefit ratio range which corresponds with your benefit ratio (Item 11) on the Tax Rate Notice. Follow across to the applicable tax rate schedule (Item 3) given below to determine your rate. If your benefit ratio is 0.37%, your rate under Schedule C is 0.50%. All rates must be reduced by 0.06% ESA except 5.40%. After the 0.06% reduction, the rate will agree with the computed rate (Item 5) on the Tax Rate Notice. The computed rate would be 0.44% for this example. Add shared cost (Item 4) to the computed rate (Item 5) to determine the tax rate (Item 6) on the Tax Rate Notice. Your rate (Item 6) and ESA (Item 7) may be combined to determine your total rate at which payment is computed quarterly.

To view general information about the tax rate system, you may download the current publication of the “Employer Handbook” at http://labor.alabama.gov/. The complete tax rate schedule, Tax Rate Table and shared cost from the UC law may be viewed online at http://alisdb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/25-4-54.htm. You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone numbers and address shown at the end of his section, if you have more questions.

How do benefit charges for unemployment compensation claims affect an employer’s tax rating account?

When an individual files a claim for benefits, two determinations are made. The first is a monetary determination of the amount of benefits the claimant may receive based on his/her wages paid in a specified time period (base period). The second is a non monetary determination that considers the claimant’s eligibility for benefits and reason for separation from employment. Both determinations affect the charging of the employer’s account.

The gross wages paid to a claimant by all employers in the base period are used in determining a claimant’s weekly benefit amount (WBA) and maximum benefit amount (MBA). An employer’s charging for benefits is based on the following elements.

  1. Base Period Gross Wages Paid by the Employer – The base period is defined in Alabama’s UC law as the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the filing of the claim, and is used to establish eligibility for benefits.
  2. Cost Ratio (Percentage) – If a claimant has only one employer in the base period, that employer’s account would be charged for 100% of the cost for benefits paid and chargeable. If the claimant had two or more employers during the base period, each employer’s liability would be determined by its percentage of the total gross wages paid by all base period employers.

    The percentage, times the total amount of benefits ultimately received by the claimant while unemployed, equal the employer’s benefit charges. After the end of each quarter an employer receiving benefit charges during the quarter is mailed a statement of the benefit charges. Benefits charged to the employer’s account may increase the employer’ tax rate and result in higher tax payments that will enable the Trust Fund to recover the benefits paid over a three year period. You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have other questions.

Are there non-charges and credits?

Provisions of the Alabama UC law allow tax rated employers to receive relief from benefit charges and immediate credits for overpaid benefits. In order to receive consideration of non-charging, the employer must timely respond to the separation, determination, and/or charge notices.

Non-charging may not affect entitlement or eligibility. The claimant, if eligible and qualified, may still collect benefits. The list below indicates reasons for non-charging and credit;

    1. Voluntarily quit without good cause connected with the work. Tax rated employer is relieved of all (100%) benefit charges based on the period of employment ending with such separation.
    2. Discharged for dishonest or criminal act, sabotage, or an act endangering safety of others. Must be in connection with work. Effective with separations after July 3, 1994, use of illegal drugs, refusal to take a drug test, or altering a drug test if:
      1. The employer has a reasonable drug policy:
      2. The drug test meets Department of Transportation or other reliable standards;
      3. The employee has been advised of the drug policy in writing.

Tax rated employer relieved of all (100%) benefit charges. As application of a disqualification in this category involves removal of base period wages from the claim, reimbursing employers accounts are credited as the claimant repays the benefits for the overpaid weeks the claimant is disqualified.

  1. Discharged for actual or threatened misconduct in connection with work after previous warning. Tax rated employer relieved of all (100%) benefit charges.
  2. Discharged for misconduct connected with work with no warning other than the acts mentioned above. Tax rated employer relieved of one-half (50%) benefit charges.
  3. Continues to work part-time with similar wages and hours as those in base period. Tax rated employer relieved of all (100%) Benefit charges.
  4. If the claimant is originally granted and paid benefits, but as a result of a redetermination or an appeal is later disqualified, a credit will be immediately given, except to reimbursing employers, for benefits paid prior to the redetermination or appeal decision. Credits will only be given to reimbursing employers when the claimant repays any benefits improperly paid. Subsequent benefits will only be charged if the claimant resolves the disqualification and the benefits are otherwise payable.

You may contact the Experience Rating Section at the telephone number and address shown at the end of this section if you have questions.

Experience Rating Section
649 Monroe Street, Room 4215
Montgomery, AL 36131-4200

Phone: (334) 954-4741
FAX: (334) 242-2068

How do temporary agencies seek relief of benefit charges for school services employees?

Following passage of HB71 , a temporary agency company seeking relief of benefit charges for school services employees must file an affidavit with the Alabama Department of Labor. Relief of benefit charges will only be considered if 75% or more of the temporary agency’s employees are employed within a school system. To file an affidavit, please click here. For questions concerning your affidavit, call 334-954-4730. You may mail the notarized original to Department of Labor, Status Unit, Room 4201, 649 Monroe Street, Montgomery, AL 36131.

What is the penalty rate for late reports?

On quarters prior to January 1, 1996, the penalty is $5.00 per report due. Beginning with first quarter 1996, the penalty is $25 or 10% of taxes owed, whichever is greater.

How do I obtain a copy of previously submitted Quarterly Contribution and Wage Reports?

For reports filed online, go to our website http://labor.alabama.gov., hover over the Online Services tab and then click the “Login to eGov” link or click on the “BUSINESS EMPLOYERS” image, click on eGov and login using the login and password you created. Click “Quarterly Reporting/EFT” link, then click “Wage and Tax Reporting (Handkey)” or “Wage and Tax Reporting (upload)” link, whichever is appropriate to your method of filing. Enter your UC Account number and Federal identification number and click Submit. Click “Continue” thru the two informational screens. From “Reporting Options” page, click “View/Reset Previously Entered Wage Reports” link, then click on “View Report” link next to the year/quarter report you wish to view and/or print – this will open in a new window; print the report and exit/close the page.

For other reports, call, write or fax your request to the Audit & Cashiering Section at the address below.

What should I do to correct names or social security numbers already displayed on the online reports?

When filing the report online, check the “delete” box next to the line containing the incorrect name or social security number. Click on “Add New Employee” and input the correct information including name, SSN, etc. To correct previously submitted reports, submit Form UC-10-C online.

Alabama Department of Labor
649 Monroe Street, Room 4207
Montgomery, AL 36131

Phone: (334) 954-4701
FAX: (334) 954-4703

What is the Alabama New-Hire program?

This is a registry for reporting newly hired employees, recalled workers, and job refusals. Its purpose is to combat fraud and keep employer tax rates from rising. For more information call the New-Hire Unit at (334) 206-6020 or FAX (334) 242-8956. Or you can visit their web site at: http://labor.alabama.gov/nh.

When should I file partial claims for my employees?

You must wait until the week after the workers are laid off. You cannot file claims on or prior to the week ending date. Reason: The employee may have earnings from another job or may be called in to work unexpectedly. Also, you cannot know ahead of time if the employee will be able and available for work all of the week.

What date should I use for the week ending date?

Most employers use Saturdays for the week ending date. If your payroll end date is a different day of the week, you may choose to use that day of the week instead. If you select to use your payroll end date instead of Saturday, you must use your payroll end date for each week that you file.

Will my employees have a Waiting Week?

All claims, including those submitted by employers during temporary layoffs, are subject to an unpaid Waiting Week.

The waiting week was implemented by legislation effective July 2008, as an unpaid period for all unemployment compensation recipients. In the 2012 Alabama legislative session, the waiting week was moved from the 14th payable week to the 1st payable week for all new claims effective on or after August 1, 2012. Even though benefits cannot be paid for the waiting week, for it to count as the waiting week, it must meet the requirements to be payable and a weekly certification must be filed for that period. No funds are deducted from a claim for the waiting week.

Are there any employers that are exempt from the New-Hire Program?

No. This program is mandatory for all employers. An employer is defined as “a person or entity, including a state or local government entity or labor organization that employs an individual to perform a service for hire and pays wages directly to the individual.” This includes all religious and nonprofit organizations.

Which employees have to be reported?

All employees who are newly hired or recalled to work must be reported. An employee is defined as “an individual in the employ of another who performs a service for hire and receives wages.” This includes temporary, seasonal and part-time employees. Individuals refusing work may also be reported, but this information is optional. Reporting job refusals will increase the labor pool, disqualify UC and/or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients if they refuse work for which they are qualified, and reduce the drain on UC Trust Fund.

What methods of reporting new hires are available to employers?

Employers have two methods of reporting new hires, depending on the number of employees they have.

  1. Effective May 1, 2008, the Alabama Department of Labor requires employers with 5 or more employees to report their new hires electronically via the internet. Employers reporting by internet upload are only required to report new hires twice a month [not less than twelve (12) days and not more than sixteen (16) days apart]. For internet reporting, please use this website by clicking here. All third party submissions of new-hire data must be reported electronically, via the internet.
  2. Employers with less than 5 employees can mail or fax a copy of the employee’s W-4 form. All W-4’s must include the following data: employee’s name, address, and social security number; first day of work; and, whether newly hired or recalled to work. Also required are the employer’s Federal Employment Identification Number (FEIN), name, and address. If reporting by this method, employers with less than 5 employees are required to report new hires within seven (7) days of the first day of work. Mail W-4’s to:

Alabama Department of Labor,
Attn: New-Hire Clerk,
649 Monroe Street, Room 3203,
Montgomery, AL 36131

Note: The New Hire report-of-hire card, NH-1, is no longer accepted.

How do multi-state employers report new hires?

Multi-state employers have two options: report all new hires to a single state, chosen by the employer, in which the employer has employees, or report new hires to the respective states in which employees are working. If an employer elects to report all new hires to a single state other than Alabama, the data cannot be used by Alabama to detect and/or reduce fraud associated with Mining and Reclamation. The data will only be used by the National New Hire Directory to locate non-custodial parents who are obligated to pay court-ordered child support. Also, employers electing to report all new hires for all states to Alabama must report electronically via the internet at labor.alabama.gov.

How does a multi-state employer designate one (1) state to report all new hires?

If a multi-state employer designates one (1) state to report all new hires, the employer must notify the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in writing, as to which state the employer has designated to receive all of their new hire information.

The address of the Secretary is:

Department of Health and Human Services
Administration for Children and Families
Office of Child Support Enforcement
Multistate Employer Notification
PO Box 509
Randallstown, MD 21133

For assistance in completing this form, call the Multistate Employer Help Desk at 410-277-9470
FAX 410-277-9325
(8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. ET).

Should we start reporting now?

Yes. Any employer with an active Alabama Unemployment Tax Account Number should start reporting immediately after they register with the New Hire Unit. If an employer does not have an active AUT Account Number, they should register to start reporting immediately.

Where do we send New-Hire Reports?

All New-Hire W-4 forms should be mailed or faxed to:

Alabama Department of Labor
Attn: New-Hire Clerk
649 Monroe Street, Room 3203
Montgomery, AL 36131
W-4 forms should be mailed to the above address.
FAX: (334) 206-6020

What is recommended for getting the correct and proper treating medical provider from the beginning of the claim?

Alabama Department of Labor Administrative Code 480-5-5-.12 – The employer/carrier directs care. Except in the case of an emergency, claimant should be sent to the employer/carrier’s chosen primary care provider who will treat and recommend referral to a specialist, when necessary. The employer/carrier directs the care from the moment the injury notice has been given, not after treatment has been ongoing.

When is an IME (independent medical exam) needed?

Code of Alabama, 1975 §25-5-77(b) – An IME is an independent assessment of the claimant’s physical condition and/or bodily functions performed by a non-treating physician with written report of findings. Generally occurs prior to return-to-work status. May be requested by employer or employee. It does not equate to utilization review. It is not a second opinion in that it is not a confirmatory evaluation. It is not an impairment rating in that no impairment rating is given. The examination is done by someone other than the individuals’ family physician or a physician who is currently treating or has previously treated the claimant for the same complaint.

My employer does not have light duty. Will I receive benefits, and if so, for how long?

If the employer does not have light duty, the injured worker will receive benefits until he reaches MMI or until the employer can accommodate restrictions and possibly return the injured worker in a light duty capacity. If in the light duty capacity, the injured worker received post injury earnings less than pre-injury earnings, the injured worker will receive 66 2/3% of the difference between post injury earnings and pre-injury earnings, subject to the state maximum.

How much am I going to get paid under workers’ compensation?

Based upon an approved claim, and after the 3-day waiting period, payment will be 66 2/3% of the employee’s average weekly wage subject to the maximum and minimum. This is also depending on the authorized treating physician’s approval of the missed days from work.

How is an injured workers’ average weekly wage (AWW) determined?

AWW is calculated using your earnings for the 52 weeks prior to the injury and reportable on a Federal W-2 form. If an employee has not been employed for 52 weeks, the employer may base the AWW on a similarly situated employee. AWW is subject to the State maximum at the time of injury.

Earnings during last 52 weeks ÷ 52 weeks = AWW

How long do I have to wait before my first check?

Code of Alabama, 1975 §25-5-59 (b) – After the 3-day waiting period, the indemnity period or disability period starts on the 4th day you are out of work. Payment of compensation benefits should be paid within 30 days after it becomes due unless there is a sufficient reason it has not been paid.

How is the security amount for the Guaranty Association determined?

The security amount cannot be less than the greater of the following:

  1. The sum total of the two highest years of workers’ compensation insurance premiums paid by the applicant during the preceding three years.
  2.  The sum total of the two highest years of incurred workers’ compensation claims losses during the preceding three years.
  3. The excess insurance retention amount.
  4. $500,000

How can I get a file review for medical issues?

Pursuant to the Code of Alabama, 1975, §25-5-77(i)(5) we offer medical dispute resolution. Once we receive an opinion from one of our independent medical experts on the disputed issue or issues, we will prepare a non-binding recommendation in writing.

How can abuse of prescription pain medications be controlled?

All medication can be pre-certified to insure medical necessity is met. The employer can initiate background checks and surveillance if the situation warrants it. The physician may be contacted concerning possible addiction or asked to perform random unannounced drug screens.

What is the purpose of a medical mediation and how is it conducted?

A medical mediation is handled the same as our compensation mediations, except the issues to be mediated are medical issues and not settlement of compensation. If the parties agree to a resolution of the medical issues in question, the parties shall sign a binding mediation agreement.

How do I (claimant or employer) appeal an Examiner’s determination on a claim for benefits?

You may file an appeal of the Examiner’s determination to the Hearings and Appeals Division.  The appeal must be filed in writing within 15 calendar days of the mailing date on the original notice of determination or decision or within 7 calendar days if the notice of determination or decision was delivered to you in-person.  The letter of appeal must be signed and include the claimant’s full name, social security number (last four digits) and reason you do not agree with the decision.

This is a first level appeal and should be mailed or faxed to:

Alabama Department of Labor
Hearings and Appeals Division
649 Monroe Street, Room 4677
Montgomery, Alabama  36131
Fax: (334) 956-5891

An appeal can also be filed through the online portal.

How will I (claimant or employer) be notified of the time and date for an appeal hearing?

The Notice of Unemployment Compensation Telephone Hearing will be mailed to all interested parties at their address of record.  The notice of hearing will provide you with the time, date, issue(s) to be addressed in the hearing proceedings, and the Administrative Hearing Officer assigned to the case.  Unemployment compensation hearings are conducted by telephone, unless either party contacts the Hearings and Appeals Division and makes a request for special accommodations due to physical restrictions or any other reason.  The request for special accommodations can be made by telephone at 1-800-321-9323 upon receipt of the hearing notice.

What can I (claimant or employer) do if a witness refuses to appear voluntarily for the hearing proceedings?

You can make a request to the Hearings and Appeals Division by telephone at 1-800-321-9323 to subpoena the individual for the hearing proceedings.  Documents can also be subpoenaed.  It will be your responsibility to provide the Hearings and Appeals Division with a full name and address of the individual and/or custodian of records and documents to be subpoenaed within a reasonable time prior to the hearing to allow for preparation, mailing and delivery of the subpoena.

How will the hearing be conducted?

The hearing proceedings will be conducted by the Administrative Hearing Officer. Hearing proceedings are recorded.  Any other recording of the hearing proceeding will not be permitted. Witnesses to the hearing will be put under oath prior to taking testimony.

Disability Services and Assistive Technology

The Alabama Department of Labor ensures equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in the administration of programs and activities. Equal opportunity includes:

  • Applying nondiscrimination prohibitions.
  • Providing reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications.
  • Administering programs in the most integrated setting appropriate.
  • Engaging in effective communication.
  • Ensuring accessibility of programs, facilities, information and communication technology.

I want to report unsafe conditions at my workplace.

You (or your representative) have the right to file a confidential safety and health complaint and request an OSHA inspection of your workplace if you believe there is a serious hazard or if you think your employer is not following OSHA standards. Find more information here.

I work/worked for a private or government employer (not the Alabama Department of Labor) and have a discrimination-based complaint.

Any individual who believes they experienced employment related discrimination may file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) by calling-1-800-669-4000 or 1-800-669-6820 TTY. The charge must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation. The charge must be in writing and contain the same information set out above. Find more information here.

Are there time limits on Appeals?

Yes, the law has specific time limits for Appeals.  Those requirements are contained in information you will receive regarding your appeal.

May I appeal a decision of the Board of Appeals?

Yes, the law allows an appeal from any decision of the Board to Circuit Court.  Instructions for appeals are contained in the decision which is sent by certified mail to your last known address of record on file with the Alabama Department of Labor.

Why did the Board deny my appeal?

The law allows the Board to either hear a case or deny an appeal. The members of the Board do not have to state a reason for denying an appeal and do not tell the Administrative Staff the reason(s) for denying an appeal. If an appeal is denied, the party may then proceed to Circuit Court.

Where does the Board of Appeals meet?

The Board meets in 7 different cities on a rotating basis. The cities are: Montgomery, Trussville, Mobile, Dothan, Decatur, Oxford and Tuscaloosa.  They meet in each city about every 2 months. A written notice will be provided with the time, date and location of the hearing.

Who are the Board of Appeals members?

The members of the Board of appeals are not State Employees. They are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate.  They are not employed by the Alabama Department of Labor and work part-time.

Can I upload my resume to AlabamaWorks!?

Yes, login and go to your My Resumes page and click Create Resume. To upload a resume you have already created in Microsoft Word, answer all questions on the Resume Overview page (Step 1) and use the field at the bottom of the screen to select the resume file to upload.

Can I have jobs emailed to me?

You must have a valid email address on your contact information and an active resume. Answer Yes to the question in Step 1, “Do you want job matches for this resume emailed to you?”, on the Resume Overview page.

How do I correct the error “Can not load dll msjet” or similar error for the CPUB application I’m trying to use?

Here are the steps to correct this issue:

  1. From the PC that has Partials (CPUB) installed; Make sure all programs are closed.
  2. Double click “My Computer” icon from the desktop.
  3. Double click “C: drive”
  4. Double click “Program files”
  5. Double click “AL DIR”
  6. Double click “jet35sp3”
  7. A window will open with a message “File progress…transfer file”…. This window will close automatically in a few seconds.
  8. Now from the desktop, double click the Alabama Department of Labor partials 2.4 icon so the main menu appears.
  9. Click option number 6 to run initial setup
  10. A message should appear “The Alabama Department of Labor database has been created”
  11. The program is ready… click option number 1 to start entering the employee data….
  12. If you still receive the “Can not load Error”, repeat steps 1 thru 8, then select option number 1.